Update to my dental implant saga in Germany…

I decided a few months ago to post about my experiences getting a dental implant in Germany.  I’ve been on this journey for well over a year, when I discovered one of my two remaining baby teeth had abscessed.  After visiting Dr. Blair in Stuttgart, we determined that it would be best to remove the tooth and replace it with an implant.

The process has not been without some anxiety both over cost and the procedures required.  But I think I will soon have a new smile and Dr. Blair has been great to work with.  So each time a new procedure is done, I write a post about it.  I had a fairly big sinus lift and implant procedure in January of this year.  After allowing the implant to heal in my bone, I went to see Dr. Blair today.  He cut away some tissue to expose the titanium screw that has been there since January.

I was told today’s visit wasn’t going to be nearly as bad as the sinus lift had been.  I requested calming drugs anyway.  Dr. Blair gave me two Ativan, which I took in the waiting room and I sat there for about an hour, waiting for them to kick in.  Once they did, I felt really mellow and calm, but not high or giddy.

I went into the procedure room and Dr. Blair and his assistant got to work.  First, I got two injections of numbing medications.  Both shots were uncomfortable.  One was going on the outside gum near the area getting the implant.  The other was on my palate.  There was a sting, then lots of pressure before the odd sensation of anesthesia set in.

I felt Dr. Blair get to work, but felt little pain.  His assistant kept suctioning out debris, but seemed to miss one side.  Or, at least that’s what it felt like to me.  The whole thing took about twenty minutes and ended with Dr. Blair putting in more stitches.  The worst part was sitting up.  Because my palate was numb, it was hard to feel my nose.  It felt like I was going to choke and/or throw up at the same time.  Dr. Blair reminded me to breathe through my nose, which was much harder than you might expect it to be.  I had to sit for a couple of minutes to get the hang of it.

Dr. Blair walked me out to Bill, who was waiting in the lobby, and told me to go home and take up to 600mg of Advil at a time.  Not one to question doctor’s orders, that is exactly what I did.  Bill put me in the car and drove me home on one of the most relaxing trips I’ve had on the Autobahn thus far.  I took a couple of Advil PMs and enjoyed a nice two hour nap.

I’ve been enjoying some really yummy Thai peanut soup Bill made me from scratch.  We go back to see Dr. Blair next Tuesday.  Bill will get a filling replaced and my stitches will be removed.  I’m guessing there will be new impressions made, too.  With any luck, I’ll have my smile back in no time.


Leave a Reply