Well, folks, the time has come to decide what to do next. Bill’s job ends in 56 days. A few days ago, he got a tentative job offer to move to Vicenza, Italy as a GS employee. That would mean he would no longer be a contractor. Instead, he’d be working in the government service, something that I think would make him happier in the long run.
It’s a good job. We love Italy. I hate moving, but I’ve done it plenty of times… If we moved there, it would be my fifth overseas experience and my fourth country. But…
I think it will take a long time to arrange moving to Italy. We may or may not get an overseas living quarters allowance. And while we could live on what the government would pay, it would be hard to move to Italy without help from the feds. And… did I mention that I HATE moving? I have done it many times and don’t enjoy it. And I am perfectly happy staying here in Germany, even though Italy is lovely.
Compounding matters is that we have a Scottish/Northern Irish cruise planned for September. I will be going on this cruise regardless, even if Bill can’t come. I can’t buy plane tickets or plan for a hotel room, because we don’t know where we’ll be. And we also have our dogs booked with Max at Dog On Holiday. Although this trip is after Labor Day, I worry that we won’t find care for them in Italy. From what I’ve read, it can take time to get approval to live in Italy, which is a big problem.
A week ago, we were worried about whether we could stay in Germany. But now, we have a choice between two appealing places. Both have their plusses and minuses. I’m not sure what’s going to happen, but it does appear that we won’t be leaving Europe. That suits me fine.